Associate Degree to Associate Degree
A pathway to the associate degree for students who have already achieved an associate degree
Students who wish to pursue an associate degree at Cañada College who have already been awarded an associate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States may be exempt from Cañada College’s local associate degree general education requirements. This pathway does not apply to the Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T). Students must still complete a minimum of 12 units in residence at Cañada College. For the major, at least 12 units, or 50% of the units required for the major, whichever is fewer, must be completed at Cañada College. All other local requirements may be waived if the completed associate degree includes coursework that fulfills the Title 5 minimum requirements for the associate degree as noted below.
Title 5 (55063) Associate Degree Requirements:
- Minimum of 60 units of lower division degree applicable coursework
- Completion of Freshman Composition (ENGL 100 or ENGL 105 equivalent at Cañada College)
- Completion of Intermediate Algebra or higher-level math course (MATH 120 or higher equivalent at Cañada College)
- Completion of at least 12 units in residence at Cañada College
- Completion of at least 12 units or 50% of the major, whichever is less, completed in residence at Cañada College
- Completion of 18 units of general education:
- 3 semester unit course in Natural Sciences
- 3 semester unit course in Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 3 semester unit course in Humanities
- 6 semester unit in Language and Rationality
- One additional 3 unit course in the aforementioned areas
Students with external coursework, coursework completed at colleges and universities outside the San Mateo County Community District (SMCCCD), should use Transcript Evaluation Service (TES) to determine how it will be applied for degrees and certificates. For more information, visit the District Transcript Evaluation Service website.