Informal Resolution of Grade Grievances
- Any student who has a grievance shall make reasonable effort to try to resolve the matter on an informal basis prior to pursuing a formal grievance, which includes a hearing, and shall attempt to solve the problem directly with the instructor. The student may bring a person of his/her choosing who is an observer only to meet with the instructor.
- If the grade grievance is not resolved informally with the instructor, the appropriate division dean will review the student’s grievance and obtain information from the instructor.
- In attempting to resolve the grade grievance at the informal level, the student should
be prepared to provide a written statement to the division dean to include the following
- A statement describing the nature of the problem and the action which the student desires taken.
- A statement of the steps initiated by the student to resolve the problem by informal means.
- A description of the general and specific grounds on which the grievance is based. The student must be able to demonstrate mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency in accordance with Education Code 76224. In the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency, the grade issued by the instructor may not be changed.
- A written notice of the division dean’s decision shall be provided to the student within 20 days of the student’s meeting with the division dean or as soon as the division dean has completed his/her investigation.
Formal Process for Grade Grievances
In the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith or incompetency (according to Education Code 76224) the grade issued by the instructor may not be changed. There is a deadline of year from the date that the grade is posted for a student to initiate a grade grievance. Any student who has a grievance shall make reasonable effort to try to resolve the matter on an informal basis prior to pursuing a formal grievance. Any student who believes, after the informal process, that he or she continues to have a grievance shall file a Grade Grievance Form available on the college website or from the Division Dean.
For both Non-Grade and Grade Grievance Forms, please visit https://canadacollege.edu/policies/grievances.php.