International Students

How to Apply

Cañada College welcomes international students who have a visa that allows them to study in the United States. For more information about eligibility for study at Cañada College, please contact the International Student Program at +1 650-381-3544 or The college issues documentation for F-1 student visas to students who want to complete an educational program here. See information below for F-1 student visa admission requirements.

Admission Requirements (for F-1 Student Visa applicants)

Students who are residents of other countries and either possess or are seeking an F-1 student visa may qualify for admission to Cañada College as follows:

  • Complete the International Student Application available at the San Mateo County Community College District (SMCCCD) website:
  • Have the equivalent of an American high school education with satisfactory grades (“C” or 2.0 grade point average). A copy of the high school transcript is required.
  • Demonstrate sufficient command of English to profit from instruction at Cañada College. The minimum TOEFL score requirement is 480 on the paper-based exam and 56 on the Internet-based exam. The minimum IELTS score is Band 5.5. Individuals admitted as international students may be required to enroll in English as a Second Language courses, based on the results of an English placement test given once the student arrives at the college.
  • Submit evidence of necessary funds to cover the cost of school and living expenses while attending Cañada College. (See enrollment fees section of this catalog.) The current estimate of annual expenses for international students is $26,000.
  • Copy of Passport

Please call +1 650-381-3544 or email for more information about the F-1 student visa admission process.

International students with F-1 visas are required to register in at least 12 units of coursework each fall and spring semesters. Cañada College’s schedule of classes is available at the college website: All international students must purchase district approved medical insurance plan.

Students who are legal residents of another country and who are in the United States temporarily on an F-1 student visa to study full-time at another institution may be admitted as part-time students at Cañada College with the approval of their primary college. These students must present a letter of approval from a counselor or official of the other institution in order to attend Cañada College part-time.