Academic Renewal Policy
- Up to 36 semester previously recorded substandard academic performance (grade of “D+”,“D”,“D-“,
or “F”) may be disregarded if it is not reflective of a student’s demonstrated ability.
- A student may file a petition with the Office of Admissions and Records seeking grade
alleviation of substandard academic work.
- A period of at least one year must have elapsed since the course work to be alleviated was completed.
- The student must have completed:
9 units of course work with a 3.5 cumulative grade point average, or
15 units with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, or
21 units with a 2.5 cumulative grade point average, or
24 units with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average since the course work to be alleviated was completed.
- Substandard course work to be alleviated must have been completed at Cañada College, College of San Mateo or Skyline College. However, the course work upon which the application for alleviation is based may be completed at any regionally accredited college or university.
- The academic renewal policy may be applied when alleviation of prior course work is necessary to qualify a student for financial aid or admission to a program or transfer to another institution or for completion of a certificate or degree program.
- To request Academic Renewal, a student must file a grade alleviation petition to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- A student may file a petition with the Office of Admissions and Records seeking grade alleviation of substandard academic work.
- When academic course work is alleviated from the computation of the grade point average, the student’s permanent academic record shall be properly annotated in a manner to ensure that all entries are legible, providing a true and complete academic history.