Final Grades and Grade Challenges

In the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final once it has been filed and recorded by the Admissions and Records Office. An earned grade may be changed by the instructor within one year if a clerical error is determined to have been made in calculating the grade. Grades cannot be changed on the basis of a student completing course work after the assignment of the final grade, California Education Code Section 76224.

Students who believe a grade was assigned incorrectly should first attempt to resolve the matter with the instructor; if unsuccessful, they should contact the Division Dean; and, finally, submit a petition to the Vice President of Instruction.